Local Area Review (LAR)
In 2018, Leicester had a visit from inspectors (OFSTED and the Care Quality Commission [CQC]) to look at the local area SEND services for children and young people who have special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND).
They met with parents and carers, children and staff from schools, colleges and settings as well as interviewing staff from health providers, commissioners and the local authority. The inspectors found that five areas needed improvement. And for Leicester City to:
- Work together across partnerships to have a vision and strategy to improve outcomes for children and young people who have SEND
- Improve Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans – this plan should clearly explain a child or young person’s needs and aspirations. It should explain how different people, professionals and organisations will help your child with their learning in school or college
- To improve the assessment of children and young people’s social care needs
- To jointly commission services to support young people’s health needs past 19 years of age
- To develop a more joined up approach to how we help young people prepare for adulthood
They published the attached report which details the strengths and weaknesses they found in the Leicester Local Area in 2018. They asked the Local Area to put together a Written Statement of Action (WSoA) which is the plan to improve and change things for families.
Since that time, we have made and continue to make progress in those areas. We have an improvement board (SENDIB) specifically for SEND, which brings together professionals across lots of stakeholders as well as our Leicester City Parent Carer Forum to challenge and drive positive change.
Our Local Offer is continually updated so children and their families are able to:
- learn of improvements
- find sources of help, advice and information
- make use of the services developed so we can better support the needs and aspirations of our children, young people with SEND.
We are confident that significant improvements have been made for SEND children and young people in the Local Area. We hope you can recognise this through our Written statement of Action which we update at least yearly and the roadmap of our improvement journey.
As always there are lots of ways in which we want to continue to improve. We have a survey which will help us get your views to do this. Or simply contact: email@example.com and let us know your views.