30 hours funded childcare
Eligible families can get an additional 15 hours per week of funded childcare for 38 weeks a year. This is on top of the 15 hours per week of funded early education that all three and four year olds are entitled to.
You can usually get 30 hours funded childcare if you (and your partner, if you have one) are:
- in work - or getting parental leave, sick leave or annual leave
- each earning at least the National Minimum Wage or Living Wage for 16 hours a week - this is £120 if you’re over 25
This earnings limit does not apply if you are self-employed and started your business less than 12 months ago.
You are not eligible if:
- your child doesn’t usually live with you
- either you or your partner has a taxable income over £100,000
- you are from outside the EEA and your UK residence card says you cannot access public funds
You can get 30 hours funded childcare at the same time as claiming Universal Credit, tax credits or childcare vouchers.
If you cannot work, you may still be eligible if your partner is working and you get Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance, Carer’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance.
How to apply
Applications can be made online using the HMRC portal. If eligible, an eligibility code will be issued which will need to be validated with a childcare provider within three months of the date issued.
If you foster your child, you cannot apply online. Read How to apply - foster parents for more information or contact your social worker direct.
Eligibility start date
Eligibility will only start at the beginning of the school term after the code has been issued and cannot start part way through a term. Therefore, parents who wish to receive the offer will need to apply before a new school term starts.
Eligible parents are required to re-check their eligibility on a termly basis. A reminder is issued by the HMRC to the email address given on registration. Parents that are no longer eligible will enter a grace period.
- The eligibility code issued by the HMRC will need to be validated with a childcare provider within three months of the date issued.
- You are required to re-check your eligibility on a termly basis
- A reminder will be issued by the HMRC to your registered email account.
For assistance in completing your application contact the HMRC's Customer Interaction Centre on 0300 123 4097.