General learning difficulties
Pupils who are characterised with general learning difficulties have a range of needs:
- Weak understanding of instructions / information and curriculum vocabulary
- Weak short / long term memory
- Weak listening and concentration skills
- Weak organisational skills
- Weak literacy skills
- Difficulty in making links or connections between aspects of lessons and learning
Where can I get help for my child?
Reading Recovery is a 1:1 intervention with a qualified Reading Recovery teacher. It is for selected pupils in Years 1 and 2. The program aims to close the gap in reading within 20 weeks to an age appropriate reading level. View further information about Reading Recovery intervention.
What support is there for schools?
Learning, Communication and Interaction (LCI) team work to support pupils with general learning difficulties in school.
School Support for children with SEND offers information about your school’s responsibilities to all SEND learners.
Inclusive Provision for SEND children in mainstream schools offers advice on how teachers can identify and adapt teaching to learners with general learning difficulties.