Leaving child services support

The following information is for young people with special educational needs and disabilities and their families where they are not able to access support from Adults Social Care following a transition assessment.

Unsuccessful transition assessment 

If a transition assessment has been carried out and the young person does not meet the criteria for support from adult social care the social worker who conducted the assessment can offer a follow up discussion to explain how the decision was reached.   Where this discussion does not resolve the matter an appeal can be made. 

Ongoing support 

Young people who do not meet the criteria for support from adult services may still need ongoing support.  There are many organisations locally and nationally with the experience and expertise to provide free information, advice and support by telephone, email and through leaflets and fact sheets available on their websites. There are also local support groups that often organise informal face to face meetings.   

  • Search for services in and around Leicester with MyChoice

Financial support

When a young person reaches 16 years of age they will become entitled to benefits in their own right.  The Welfare Rights Service provides benefits advice which will help make sure that you are claiming everything you may be entitled to. 

Carers Assessment

To help get the right support you can ask for a Carer’s Assessment if you haven’t already been offered one.  If your young person is newly diagnosed and you are new to local projects and support you may wish to find out more about Short Breaks. Additionally, Carers UK has published useful  factsheets.

Related links