Start for Life
Providing information and resources that support the first two years of a baby's life.
Pregnancy and antenatal care
The early weeks of pregnancy are important for your baby’s development and can have an impact for the rest of their lives.
Once you have a positive pregnancy test, you should arrange an appointment with a midwife. You can do this via your GP surgery or call 0116 258 4834.
Your midwife will give you advice on how to keep fit and well during your pregnancy and book in essential scans and health checks.
Local antenatal sessions can connect you with other families and help you plan for birth and beyond.
You can learn how to:
- look after and feed your baby
- stay healthy during pregnancy
- make a birth plan
They also give you the chance to meet other parents and carers, helping you build a friendly support network.
Your child aged 0 – 2 years
Staff in the Family Hub network are with you throughout your child’s life. This is especially true during pregnancy and the first two years of your child’s life which sets the foundation for their future health, wellbeing and learning.
Children’s brains continue to develop after birth. Your love, play, storytelling and talking with them are key to their healthy development.
Our stay and play and learning together sessions provide the chance for you to meet other families and help your child to communicate, play and share with other children.
There is plenty of health and support available to you. Leicester’s Family Hub network includes a variety of local organisations and partners working together to provide services for families and information on:
- Antenatal and postnatal support
- Feeding your baby and family
- Child health and development
- Speech, early learning and education
- Attachment and healthy relationships
- Special educational needs and disabilities
- Parenting advice and support
- Emotional wellbeing and mental health
- Money and housing
- Community groups in your area
Other online support is available:
- Start for Life – the national NHS Start for Life programme
- Live Well Little Ones – information for you and your family including safer sleep, Healthy Start and oral health
- Health for under 5s – provides support for you and your family including how to register with a midwife
- Chat Health – for free confidential health and advice, text 07520 615 381 and a public health nurse will get back to you within 24 hours
- Leicester Mammas – for breastfeeding support and general advice on baby matters
- Heads Up – supporting parents, carers and young people who are experiencing behaviour, relationship and mental health challenges
- EasyPeasy - an app that offers ideas and tips to support early learning and development
Face to face help and support
Visit the early adopter Family Hubs at the following Children Family and Young People Centres:
- Belgrave, Cossington Street, LE4 6JD
0116 454 3320
- Braunstone, Gallards Hill, LE3 1QR
0116 454 3890
- Eyres Monsell, Hillsborough Road, LE2 9PT
0116 454 3390
- Highfields, 20 Barnard Close, LE2 0UZ
0116 454 3810
- Thurnby Lodge, Dudley Avenue, LE5 2EG
0116 454 3850
Or any other venue displaying the Family Hub logo.