A childminder is self-employed and runs their own business. Childminders look after one or more children under the age of eight for more than a total of 2 hours a day for reward.
Most childminders looking after children under the age of 8 must register with Ofsted or a childminder agency.
Most childcare providers looking after children under the age of 8 must register with Ofsted. Childminders can choose to register with a childminder agency instead. Childminder agencies register childminders and give training, business support, advice and help finding suitable parent
There are two Ofsted registers: The Early Years Register and the Childcare Register.
- You must register on the Early Years Register to look after children from birth up to the 31 August after their fifth birthday.
- You must register on the compulsory part of the Childcare Register to look after children aged 5 to 7.
- You must register on both registers to look after children of all ages.
- You can register on the voluntary part of the Childcare Register to look after children over 8 or to look after children in their own home.
Before you can register as a childminder you will also need to:
- Complete training that enables you to understand and implement the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)- If registering on the Early Years Register.
- Complete a 12-hour paediatric first aid course.
- Fill in a health declaration form and get it signed by your GP- the health check only applies to those on the early years register.
- Obtain a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) enhanced check
- Ofsted Registration for childminders - What you need to know if you want to be a childminder
If you intend to register as a childminder in Leicester, you will need to submit an online childminding registration enquiry form to the EED team. The EED team can provide help with the Ofsted registration process and can offer pre-registration visits to your home to:
- Explain the requirements and process of registering as a childminder
- Discuss training needs and signpost to relevant training courses
- Inform you of the process of applying to Ofsted to register as a childminder
- Help you to carry out risk assessments and make the home environment safe for young children
- Support you throughout the registration process
- Offer business support
If you reside outside of the city, please refer to Leicestershire County Council's information