Disabled Children's Register

The Children Act (1989) requires all Children and Young People’s Services to keep a register of disabled children in their local areas.

How to register

For support completing the form, contact Disabled Children's Service on 0116 4544650.  A paper version of the form is attached below.

Purpose of the register

The purpose of the register is to safeguard and promote the interests of disabled children and to plan and improve services for them.

In Leicester City the Register is held within the Disabled Children's Service and is jointly funded by Children and Young People’s Services and Leicester City NHS. The register is intended to include information about disabled children and young people and those with additional or special needs. 

Parents and carers do not have to agree to registration and any services they may be entitled to are not dependent upon inclusion on the register.  

Registration can contribute positively to better planning of services and support for disabled children and young people, those with additional or special needs and their parent and carers.  It will also help to target information better and explore the reasons why some services or support are not available. 

From the information gathered reports will be shared with local service providers such as leisure centres, youth settings, clubs and other providers to help with the planning and delivery of services.  The reports will be completely anonymous and no individual information will be shared with any agency. 

Free carer's pass

On registering your child, you can request a free carer's pass that gives you free entry to the mainstream gym (dependent on age) and swim sessions that take place at participating Leicester City Council leisure centres when you attend with your child. The leisure centres that are part of the scheme are:

For more information about the free carer's pass, contact the Disabled Children's Service on 0116 4544650. Please note, the pass needs to be renewed every year.  To renew the pass a new register form must be completed by using the link above or by requesting a hard copy of the form from Disabled Children Service