Schools and colleges out of area

If you were thinking of sending your child or young person to a school or college out of Leicester, the place of learning must be approved.

Those which meet the SEND Code of Practice criteria can be found on the approved independent special schools and colleges list.  This list is updated by on a termly basis. The school or college of your choice must be named in your young person’s Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.  

The duties and rights relating to admissions are the same across maintained schools, academies, further education colleges and non-maintained special schools in that:

  • A child or young person has a right to request that an institution on the approved list is named in their EHC plan
  • If the institution is named in an EHC plan, the local authority is under a qualified duty to secure a place
  • If the institution is named in an EHC plan, the institution must admit the pupil or young person

The local authority has a duty to be satisfied with the named school’s most recent education and social care inspection when preparing the EHC plan.