SEND Transport Policy consultation
In 2021, the Council sought views on the updated transport policies for children and young people with Special Education Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) up to age 16, and those with SEND attending Post-16 education.
The consultation included:
- The council’s responsibility to enable, support and assist children and young people with SEND to participate in education and training.
- Parent / carer responsibilities in supporting their child(ren) access education and training.
- The council’s commitment to support children and young people to develop their independence, enabling them to prepare for adulthood.
- How the council will meet its obligations to provide 'home to school' and 'college travel' to eligible children and young people with SEND living in Leicester.
- Alternative options for travel assistance, such as personal transport budgets and Independent travel training
Following the consultation, the approved policy came into affect from Autumn term 2022 with all children and young people who are new and eligible for transport provision, being aligned to this policy.
All children and young people who were in receipt of transport prior to Autumn 2022 will be aligned to the policy after two years, Autumn 2024.