Supervised Toothbrushing is a 5-10 minute activity that takes place every day within the classroom, under the supervision of staff.
It is a great way to raise awareness of the importance of oral health whilst aiming to reduce oral health inequalities within the city.
Why do we do it
In Leicester 38.6% of five-year-old children have decayed, missing or filled teeth. This is much higher than the English average and almost all preventable. Having problems with their teeth can cause:
- issues with self-confidence
- eating or drinking
- missed days from school during the year for hospital extractions
Supervised toothbrushing is a robust evidence-based intervention to improve the rate of decayed teeth in children.
What will you receive
- One-to-one tailored training
- FREE supervised toothbrushing resources delivered annually
- Access to our resource catalogue where you can loan oral health related items including a play dentist’s chair and giant mouth and brush models
- Unlimited support to help you establish and maintain toothbrushing in your setting
The programme, done daily, will take less than 5 minutes to complete from start to end, but can improve the oral health of children massively.
For more information about supervised toothbrushing and how your setting can join, please email Healthyteehhappysmiles@leicester.gov.uk