Home childcarer or nanny

Home childcarers care for children from birth upwards in the child’s own home.

Home childcarers may care for children from two different families at the home of one of the families.  If more than two families use the nanny or home childcarer at the same time, then it is classed as childminding.

Home childcarers do not have to register with Ofsted, but may choose to register with the Voluntary part of the Childcare Register so that parents may get help with their childcare costs.

Before you are registered with Ofsted, you will need to:

  • have a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check
  • complete a 12 hour paediatric first aid course

and have either one of the following:

  • a level 2 qualification relevant to childcare
  • training in the Common Core of Skills and Knowledge

Further information