Grants and allowances

Children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities may be eligible to access additional funding to help meet their needs.

Disabled Facilities Grant

Living with a long-term disability can impact upon your surroundings and you may be able to receive a Disabled Facilities grant to make changes to your home.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is ending for anyone born after 8 April 1948 or who is currently 16 or over.  You will continue to receive DLA until the Department of Work and Pensions contacts you.  When they do, they will tell you when it will end and invite you to apply for Personal Independence Payments (PIP).

Personal Independence Payments

Long-term ill-health or a disability may incur extra costs.  If you are aged 16 to 24 you may be entitled to financial payments, with the rate set according to how your condition affects you.  Further information can be found at GOV.UK

Disability Student Allowance

If you live in England and attend university you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance.  Any support you receive is based upon your needs and not your income.  In order to qualify you must have one of the following:

  • A disability or a long-term physical or mental health condition
  • A specific learning difficulty

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is for people who are ill or disabled.  It is aimed at providing financial support if you are unable to work or personalised support if you need help in the workplace.   ESA is for people who are employed, unemployed or self-employed.