Mental health support

Get help for children and young people up to the age of 18 who have mental health problems or development difficulties.

Interim support for low-level mental health needs

A number of services have been commissioned to offer interim solutions for early intervention for children and young people with low-level mental health needs.

The Children and young people's emotional, mental health and wellbeing services (PDF) give you full details of how to access these services.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

CAMHS helps children and young people that have emotional and/or behavioural difficulties at a level which requires specialist support.

In Leicester, referrals are made by GPs, hospital and community doctors, social workers and education psychologists, or other health care professional if in conjunction with the GP.

NHS.UK has further information about CAMHS for:

General advice for parents

If you think your child has a mental health problem or developmental disorder, speak to your:

  • GP (doctor) or paediatrician
  • Teacher or the special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) at your child’s school or education setting
  • Health visitor – if your child doesn’t go to school yet

If your child is over 18 years old, your doctor will refer you to adult mental health services.
Search for a services

Related links

Leicestershire NHS Partnership Trust

Health for Under 5's

Health for Kids

Health for Teens