Choosing a school
All schools make provision to support children who have special educational needs. Children who have an Education, Health and Care plan (EHC) plan may attend:
Maintained mainstream secondary schools and academies
Schools that educate children with or without an EHC plan
Designated Specialist Provisions (DSPs)
DSPs provide specialist provision for specific types of special needs as part of mainstream school or academy. Children who are placed in DSPs do not require full time specialist provision but require some additional specialist support to access the curriculum. Their time is split between mainstream lessons and activities and the DSP. Find a Designated Specialist Provision in Leicester for or secondary aged children
Maintained Special Schools
These cater for children with more complex needs which require a highly tailored curriculum and regular access to additional specialist support. Leicester have six special schools offering secondary specialist provision. Search for schools in Leicester.
Independent and Non Maintained Special Schools:
These offer similar provision to maintained special schools but are not government funded so they charge for places. The cost for a place can be much higher than supporting a pupil in a local maintained special school or academy. Find a school on the approved independent special schools and colleges list.
To help you make an informed choice:
- Talk to your child about the differences between primary and secondary bearing in mind, any anxieties they may have, where their friends are going, and how they see their needs.
- Talk to Primary school about their role in easing transfer and ask for their view about educational needs at secondary level
- Look at the school's SEN reports published on the school's website
- Read the Ofsted report
- Visit secondary schools, including local schools which your child’s primary school friends may be transferring to.
- Attend open days / evenings - Take a copy of your child's EHCP with you and talk to the SENCO about:
- how your child's needs could be met i.e. layout of the school, medical facilities
- one to one or group support for your child, homework, timetable
- how new students are welcome
- Make an appointment to see the school's SENCO if they were not available at open event or your questions have not been answered
- Consider any transportation need. See home to school transport for more information.