Mediation, appeals and resolutions

If you disagree with a local authority decision, the Children and Families Act 2014 outlines a clear process for resolving disagreements.

This can take the following forms:

  • Mediation which is designed to help resolve disagreements between parents, carers or young people and the Local Authority where it is specifically linked to decisions relating to Education Health and Care (EHC) assessments and plans
  • Appeals can be registered with the First Tier Tribunal where a disagreement has not been resolved through mediation. The First Tier Tribunal is independent of the local authority and its decisions are binding
  • Disagreement resolution is a more general process to resolve disagreements relating to SEN duties and special education, health and social care provision
  • Complaint procedures cover a number of different procedures to enable individuals to seek redress against statutory and non-statutory organisations
  • Single route of redress - National trial 2018

Which process should I use?

If you disagree with the local authority’s decisions regarding EHC statutory assessments and plans, mediation information and a certificate must be obtained prior to entering formal mediation or registering an appeal.

Contact Global mediation to request independent information and a certificate regarding mediation and tribunal appeals.

You may also wish to contact SENDIASS for information and support with the appeal process.

Single route of redress - national trial

In line with Schedule 2 of the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014 all local areas in England are required to publish details in their local offers for ‘notifying parents and young people of their right to appeal a decision of the local authority to the Tribunal and their extended rights as part of the single route of redress national trial.