Home to school transport
Children with Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans may have to travel several miles to reach the school in which they have been placed. Their placement could be at a special or mainstream school.
Support for children less than 16 years old
Free transport will be provided for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) who have been offered a school placement by Leicester City Council and who meet the following criteria:
- For a child of statutory school age under 8 years and where the child is placed in a school which is more than 2 miles from their home address
- For a child or young person of statutory school age between 8 and 16 years and where the child is placed in a school which is more than 3 miles from their home address.
However, if a parent or carer chooses to place their child in a school which is different to that offered by Leicester City Council, and the distance to this school is further than that detailed above, then no support with transport is usually offered.
Support for post-16 students
For post-16 students, no free or assisted transport is available. However, some free or assisted transport may continue to be available for post-16 students who previously received this as part a transitional arrangement.
Some children or young people with SEND who live within the statutory distance from their school may receive SEND transport because of one or more of the following needs:
- Long term severely restricted independent mobility due to physical disability or a medical condition resulting in severe persistent pain and/or extreme fatigue
- Long term restricted mobility due to a medical condition resulting in serious persistent health and safety risks
- Impairment resulting in severely restricted oral communication
- Severely restricted mobility due to a sensory impairment
- Cognitive abilities within the range associated with severe learning difficulties
- Severe behavioural emotional and/or social difficulties in comparison with other children of their age
More information is available in the SEND Home to School Transport Policy (PDF).