Working in childcare

The Early Education Development team provide support to all types of childcare settings with regards to Ofsted registration, continuous professional development opportunities, inspection outcomes, raising quality and relevant regulatory advice.

Working as a childminder means being self-employed and managing your own business. You should assess the demand for new childminders in your locality.  

Register as childminder

If you intend to register as a childminder in Leicester, submit a childminding enquiry online form to the Early Education Development (EED) team.  The EED team can provide help with the Ofsted registration process and can offer pre-registration visits to your home to:

  • explain the requirements and process of registering as a childminder
  • Inform you of the process of applying to Ofsted to register as a childminder and discuss training
  • look at making the home environment safe for young children
  • support you through the process of registration.

Getting qualified

The EED team aim to support providers to raise quality and improve the experiences that children have in care, learning and play.  As a childminder, you will be expected to:

  • take a home-based childcare course
  • pass appropriate paediatric first aid/safeguarding training as defined by Ofsted's Childcare Register

Childcare on non-domestic premises

If you want to register a non-domestic premise or extend your existing provision, the EED team can offer guidance and support.  They can view the property and advise on its suitability to reach and maintain welfare requirements.