Winter grant scheme
To give vulnerable households peace of mind in the run up to Christmas and over the Winter months during the pandemic by helping those who need it to have food on the table and other essentials, so every child will be warm and well-fed this winter.
- To provide support to vulnerable households and families with children particularly affected by the pandemic throughout the winter period where alternative sources of assistance may be unavailable.
- To use the funding from December 2020 up to the end of March 2021 to meet immediate needs and help those who are struggling to afford food and utility bills (heating, cooking, lighting) and water for household purposes (including drinking, washing, cooking, central heating, sewerage and sanitary purposes), or other related essentials.
Making a referral
A link to the referral form will be provided shortly.
Who are those particularly affected by the pandemic
Lower income, greater expense = hardship
- Financial exploitation
- Reduced hours
- Isolation household not eligible for test and trace support payments
- Children and young people isolating from school
Leicester is experiencing high volumes of isolation households where they can't claim support.
- Vulnerable, having no financial resilience
- Struggling to pay the bills, particularly this year
- Probably a working household
- Working benefit household
- Low income, but not necessarily in receipt of benefit top-ups
- Just about managing (JAM) - cliff edge households
- Factories, leisure industry, beauty industry, gyms, hospitality, event management
- Cash pay sector
- New job
- Zero contract/agency
- Leaving care, child
- SEND child
- Ex-Armed Forces
- Lone parent
Who we are required to support
- at least 80% of the total funding will be ring-fenced to support families with children
- with up to 20% of the total funding to other types of households, including individuals
- at least 80% of the total funding food, energy and water bills (including sewerage)
- with up to 20% on other items
What are we allowed to provide support for?
- Utility Bills
- Gas / Electric
- District Heating
- Water / Sewerage
- Essential items
- sanitary products
- toiletries / soap
- Warm clothing
- boiler service/repair (Owner Occ only)
- purchase of equipment including fridges, freezers, microwaves, ovens, etc
What is the winter grant scheme
Summary of background:
- Launched 8 November 2020
- DWP Funded £170m
- County councils and unitary authorities including metropolitan councils and London boroughs
- Scheme runs from 1 December 2020 to 31 March 2021.
- Leicester’s grant £1.401m
View further information about the grant is available at https://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-council/coronavirus/coronavirus-support-for-residents/covid-winter-grant/