COVID19 update - 5/02/2020
This guidance will assist schools and other educational settings in providing advice for pupils, students, staff and parents or carers. Guidance will be updated here as and when received, please check back for updates
Government Coronavirus action plan (launched 3 March 2020)
This document sets out what the UK as a whole has done to tackle the Coronavirus (COVID-19), and what it plans to do next.
The document includes:
- what we know about the virus and the disease it causes
- how we have planned for an infectious disease outbreak, such as the current coronavirus outbreak
- the actions we have taken so far in response to the current coronavirus outbreak
- what we are planning to do next, depending upon the course the current coronavirus outbreak takes
- the role the public can play in supporting this response, now and in the future
Current advice remains in place: No school should close in response to a suspected (or confirmed) COVID-19 case unless advised to do so by Public Health England.
The importance of hygiene
Personal hygiene is the most important way we can tackle COVID-19, especially washing hands more; and the catch it, bin it, kill it strategy for those with coughs and sneezes.
Please help us in sharing simple and effective hand hygiene messages.
Public Health England has a dedicated webpage with a range of posters and digital materials at:
Sign up is quick, free and means you will be alerted as more resources are made available.
Department for Education Coronavirus helpline
On Monday (2 March) the DfE launched a new helpline to answer questions about COVID-19 related to education. Staff, parents and young people can contact the helpline as follows:
Phone: 0800 046 8687
Opening hours: 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday)
Reporting absence / partial and full closures
All schools / childcare settings have received a briefing from the local authority for reporting absence and any possible cases. This information when received will be reported to the DfE / Ministers as requested. The briefing contains an online form, please provide as much detail as possible and keep us updated on any changes.
If your setting hasn't received the briefing or you require the online form links again, please call 0116 454 1120 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated 5 March 2020
Key links to information
- Travel advice: coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): UK government response
- COVID-19: guidance for educational settings