[Skip to content]


Welfare rights and benefits advice

Free welfare and benefits advice

The Welfare Rights Service offers free welfare and benefits advice to help you get your correct benefit requirements.  The support offered includes checking your benefits, form filling and help with appeals and tribunals if you have been turned down for financial assistance.


Continuing healthcare

This is a package of care that is fully funded by the NHS to cover the physical or mental health needs of the individual. Continuing healthcare is free to the person who needs the support which is usually over a long period of time.

Personal Health Budgets

You may also be eligible for personal health budget.


Personal Education Budget


Disabled Facilities Grant

Living with a long-term disability can impact upon your surroundings. If you need help to have a door widened or to make upstairs accessible; click on the link below for guidance. 

Direct Payments

A Direct Payment can be used for a number or purposes such as purchasing a Short Break, but is more commonly used to employ a Personal Assistant.



Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is ending for anyone born after 8 April1948 or who are currently 16  or over.  You will continue to receive DLA until the Department of Work and Pensions contacts you.  When they do, they will tell you when it will end and invite you to apply for Personal Independence Payments (PIP).


Disability Student Allowance

If you live in England and attend university you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance.  Any support you receive is based upon your needs and not your income.  In order to qualify you must have one of the following:


  • A disability or a long-term physical or mental health condition

  • A specific learning difficulty


Employment Support Allowance

Employment Support Allowance (ESA) is for people who are ill or disabled.  It is aimed at providing financial support if you are unable to work or personalised support if you need help in the workplace.   ESA is for people who are employed, unemployed or self-employed.


Housing Benefit 

If you are on a low income Housing Benefit can help to pay for part or all of your rent.  Housing benefit is awarded depending upon how much you earn as well as your personal circumstances.

Personal Budgets

Personal Budgets were developed to put you in control over which social care services you access to best meet your needs. By having a personal budget means that you can manage your own social care support.  


Once assessed as being eligible for a personal budget you will be told exactly how much money you have to spend.  Find out more in the Parent’s Guide to Personal Budgets.

Personal Independence Payments

Long-term ill-health or a disability may incur extra costs; if you are aged 16 to 24 you may be entitled to £21.80 and £139.75 a week. The rate is set according to how your condition affects you.

To make a search of your own go to MyChoice