[Skip to content]


Complaint Procedures

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction made by a person who uses a services, by a member of the public or by an outside body regarding the behaviour of the organisation, an individual staff member or volunteer within it or the standard of service provided.


Complaints Regarding Social Care

The Local Authority has a complaints procedure for children’s services that involves 3 stages that is overseen by the Complaints Manager:

  • Stage one - Local resolution
  • Stage two Investigation – complaints can be escalated to stage 2 if stage 1 has not resolved the matter
  • Stage three Review Panel – Where parents/carers or young person is not satisfied with the response received to their complaint at stage 2, they have the right to request a ‘review panel’ which must be held within 30 days of receiving the request

If the complaint is not resolved through stage 3 of the process, the complaint can be made to the Local Government Ombudsman. This must be made within 12 months of the matter being raised as the subject of the complaint.


Complaints regarding Health Services

Complaints to the NHS can be made in relation to all health services that a child or young person receives as part of an EHC plan. A complaint can be made to:

  • A service provider (e.g. NHS Hospital Trust) where there are concerns regarding the service provided
  • The CCG where there are concerns regarding the way in which a service is commissioned or provided including the appropriateness of the services in an EHC Plan
  • Support can be provided by the NHS Complaints Advocacy Services

Where complaints are not resolved through either of the above processes, the Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) can be contacted who can conduct joint investigations with the Local Government Ombudsman where a complaint includes concerns regarding the delivery of the health provision in EHC Plans.

Information, advice and support can be obtained from contacting SENDIASS Leicester at www.sendiassleicester.org.uk or tel: 0116 257 4962.