[Skip to content]


Early Years Pupil Premium

Children who are currently receiving free early education at a pre-school, nursery or childminder in Leicester may be eligible for Early Years Pupil Premium. 


Early Years Pupil Premium is additional funding that is given to the pre-school, nursery or childminder.  This funding is used to improve the learning and development outcomes of eligible children.


Who is eligible for Early Years Pupil Premium?

Children who are three and four years old and receiving free early education are eligible if they meet one of the following criteria: 

  • Their family gets one of the following:

• Income Support

• Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

• Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999    

• The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit

• Child Tax Credit (provided they’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit
   and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)

• Working Tax Credit run-on, which is paid for 4 weeks after they stop
   qualifying for Working Tax Credit

• Universal Credit

  • They have been in local authority care for one day or more in England and Wales

  • They have been adopted from care in England or Wales

  • They have left care under a special guardianship order or residence order in England or Wales


How to check eligibility

Eligibility is checked by Leicester City Council using the personal information that is provided by yourself.  The information can be submitted in the following ways:


  • Online form - submit your own information to Leicester City Council

  • Paper form - complete the form and give it back to your pre-school, nursery or childminder for them to submit to Leicester City Council


Complete an online form

The online form is available to use and provides secure delivery of information to Leicester City Council.  The information is received immediately and a reference number is given as proof of submission.



Please note:  You will need your National Insurance number or National Asylum Support Service number available when completing the form.


Complete the paper form

The paper form is available for collection from your pre-school, nursery or childminder.  Once completed, this must be returned to a member of staff at the setting.



How do I receive the Early Years Pupil Premium?

The funding is paid directly to your pre-school, nursery or childminder as part of their normal funding claim.


Help or further information

Contact your pre-school, nursery or childminder for help or more information.  Your childcare setting will be able to support you with completing your form and submit it to Leicester City Council.